Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mutton Biryani at Bismillah Biryani Restaurant

When my colleagues arranged for Friday team lunch in Bismillah Biryani, my initial thought was, is it nice food? My experience eating Biryani rice so far was not so good. Most are tasted like too oily fried rice with some Indian gravy. But it would be unfair if I rejected to join without really knowing how the food quality is.

Located at 50 Dunlop Street, it is between Bugis and Little India MRT station. We took MRT to Bugis station and walk to the place. Arriving at the site, I was even more skeptical when looking at the front of the restaurant. It looks like a rundown 2 storeys shop house that requires poles to prevent the second storey to collapse, with limited lights within the restaurant. Does it really have nice food?

Entering the restaurant, we were greeted by two Chinese old couple who took our orders. There are only 4 dishes served, namely chicken, mutton, fish and vegetables biryani. So I tried the mutton biryani.


Mutton Biryani
Usually when I look at any biryani rice sold in Indian restaurant, it looks like oily fried rice topped with so much gravy. Here at Bismillah Biryani, there is so little (almost none) of oil in the rice. I was amazed from the first mutton entered my mouth. It was so soft and tender. It was like melted in my mouth and tasted so good. As you can see in the picture above, the rice does not have so much oil. It also does not have extra gravy.

Served with an egg, it costs only $9.00. It so much worth for the money, considering the portion is really huge.

The owner (I guess) told me that the way they cook is by cooking the mutton first, then put the mutton at the bottom while cooking the rice. That way, the mutton flavour will be absorbed by the rice. So with four different flavour of biryani rice, he cook them separately to get each flavour deeply within the rice.


Location: 50 Dunlop Street. You can stop at Bugis MRT station or Little India and walk to the restaurant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment